Wildlife guided trip through the true iberian wilderness, among mountains and forests in search of two legendary and endemic predators: the Lynx and Wolf.
- The Iberian wolf – the top predator, an astonishing flagship species for conservation
- The Iberian lynx – the ultra specialist predator, the myth at the edge of Europe
- The Montes de Leon and the Sierra de Andújar – where mountains, valleys and forests create a stunning labyrinth in the heart of the Mediterranean
- The other protagonists – ungulates, the Otter, The Golden and the Spanish imperial eagle, the Griffon vulture and the Black vulture
- Dawn and dusk wildlife stakeouts, naturalistic hikes – the ultimate paradise for nature lovers
Continental Mediterranean climate.
The Montes de Leon lie along the border of Portugal and the Spanish Province of Zamora. The area was originally characterised by some highly complex and diversified forestal structures, with pyrenean oaks (Quercus pyrenaica), portuguese oaks (Quercus faginea), holm oaks (Quercus ilex subsp. Rotundifolia), and cork trees (Quercus suber), and affected by frequent wildfires. In later centuries, the system of exploitation of the farmland in the region and the massive introduction of conifers led to profound changes in the vegetational structure, with several Erica species (Erica australis, Erica arborea, Erica umbellata) that flourished thanks to the wide distribution of heather surfaces caused by man. The Sierra de Andújar Natural Park is part of the vast Sierra Morena, in inner southern Spain (highest peak: Burcio del Pino, 1290 m above sea level). The area, densely wooded (Quercus pyrenaica, Quercus faginea, Quercus ilex subsp. Rotundifolia, Quercus suber, Pinus pinea, Pinus nigra) boasts one of Andalucia’s best preserved expanses of Mediterranean forest and scrubland.
Almost certainly, the Iberian wolf (Canis lupus signatus) and the Iberian lynx (Lynx pardinus) represents the highlights of this itinerary. The first, regardless of its demography (by now the population is about 2500 individuals, with 50 individuals being confined on the Sierra Morena), is high on the list of species deserving particular conservation attention, due to its unique genetics. On the other hand, the endemic and iper specialist Iberian lynx is split in two subpopulations (156 adult individuals overall), an its story shines a much-needed light on wildlife conservation. There are of course plenty of other species of particular interest to photographers and nature lovers, and even people who are used to the classic pool of Mediterranean ungulates (Roe, Red and Fallow deer, Mouflon, Wild boar) will appreciate the possible encounters with otters, wildcats and the Egyptian mongoose (Herpestes ichneumon). The bird biodiversity is astonishing here, with the presence of the Spanish Imperial eagle, the Golden eagle, the Griffon and Black vulture and the endemic Iberian azure-winged magpie (Cyanopica cooki) representing a driver for adding fuel to the fame of these places.
The trip will be led and accompanied by one Biosfera Itinerari expert biologist guide who will be responsible of logistics, activities and tour guidance.
- Private vehicle for safaris and transfers
- All the activities at Montes de Leon and Sierra de Andújar as described
- Driver and guidance from a Biosfera Itinerari Biologist
- A comprehensive travel insurance package
- All taxes imposed by government authorities and Park entry fees
- Full board accommodation (at Sierra de Andújar), accommodation only at Montes de Leon
- International flight and airport taxes
- Cost of Procedure Management (30 euro)
- Alcoholic beverages and soft drinks
- All meals at Montes de Leon and during all transfers
- Cancelling insurance (facultative)
- Voluntary activities and service tips, and in general everything not mentioned in section “The price includes”
Disclaimer 1: Please note this is an indicative and standard itinerary. Dates, activities and the succession and length of each part of the itinerary may change each year, and can be rearranged with the participants. Upon request by the participants, we will send the definitive and detailed programme to be evaluated at least some weeks prior to the confirmation deadline.
Disclaimer 2: We will generally honor the posted prices, but these are subject to change at any time due to action or decisions made by local authorities. In such situations, and in the hope that will not happen, we will send all the ministries official communications to all participants, free from ambiguity and in total transparency. We reserve the right to correct the final price to the fullest extent permitted by law.